Sometimes we want some breakfast for lunch and that is perfectly okay. Once in a while something amazing comes along and you instantly think “OMG, I could eat that at any point in the day”. Well… that recipe has now arrived. The dish tastes great no matter what time of day you decide to make it. It will please any crowd that tries it and better yet it will be enough to feed a small army.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) Italian bread cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Mustard Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg Ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook and and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13×9-inch baking dish. Layer with 1/2 each of the onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly with cottage cheese.
- Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk.
- Add milk, mustard, pepper and nutmeg; mix well.
- Gradually pour into baking dish.
- Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.