Talk about taking me back to my childhood. We are using the old-fashion candy favorite of manys to bring out a sweet and flavorful childhood memory. Be sure to bring it to any cookout and you will be the hit because almost everyone has some memory of circus peanut candy.
Honestly, there are two type of people when it comes to circus peanuts, you either love them or you hate them. There does not seem to be any sort of in between. I on the other hand, completely love them. So let’s get into the recipe
- 44 circus peanut candies, divided
- 1 cup boiling water, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Set aside 12 circus peanut candies for garnish.
- With the remaining 32 candies, cut them into small pieces and place them in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of boiling water.
- Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds; stir.
- Microwave 1 minute longer.
- Stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, dissolve orange gelatin in remaining 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Stir in candy mixture and pineapple.
- Refrigerate until partially set.
- Fold whipped topping into the gelatin mixture.
- Pour into a 9×13-in. baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into squares.
- Top each square with a reserved circus peanut.