While nutella is not as popular as it was a few years back, the fact still remains that there are a lot of people out there who really enjoy Nutella. To be honest, I am one of those people. If I could I would eat Nutella every single day.. I can not simply due to the sugar within but man I would love it.
During the time of experimenting with different styles of French Toast, we simply had an idea to add some nutella to the toast and a select type of toppings. After several trials and errors, we have finally perfected what we say is simply the best.
- 6 jumbo croissants, split in half
- 1/2 cup hazelnut spread such as Nutella
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tblsp vanilla
- 1/4th tsp salt
- Butter a 9 X 13-inch Baking dish
- Spread Nutella on bottom half of the Croissant. Place top half over the Croissant and cut into slices. Layer half of them into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle half of the mini chocolate chips over the croissants.
- Distribute cream cheese over the croissants and chocolate chips.
- Place the remaining croissants, and chocolate chips into the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the entire pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and remove plastic wrap.
- Cover loosely with foil for the first 15 minutes, then remove. Otherwise it will brown too quickly! Bake for 50-60 minutes. *If you like a more firmer texture we suggest baking the full hour.