Delicious doesn’t begin to describe how simple yet powerful this dish is. You can use premade pie crust to get it done fast and even use frozen blackberries so you can enjoy year round. There is one MAJOR requirement though.. whatever you do, do not even think about using anything but your big ol skillet. Anything else will completely destroy the taste. Trust us on this one.
- 1 box of 2 refrigerated pie crusts (I prefer Pillsbury)
- 2 (14-16 oz) bags frozen blackberries
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1⅓ cups sugar (for berries)
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar (for crust)
- ½ stick butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unroll one pie crust and place in bottom and up sides of 12 ” cast iron skillet.
- Pierce bottom and sides of crust with a fork.
- Bake 7 minutes; remove from oven.
- Increase oven temp to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, 1⅓ cups sugar, and flour.
- Put berries in bowl with butter/sugar/flour mixture; toss until berries are covered and mixture is crumbly.
- Gently pour berries into skillet; sprinkle water over berries.
- Unroll second pie crust over top of berries, sealing at the edges of the skillet.
- Scatter the small pieces of butter on top of the crust.
- Sprinkle ¾ cups sugar on top of crust.
- Cut tiny slits in top of pie crust.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes or until bubbly at edges and beginning to brown on top.
- (I highly recommend a pie shield to keep edges of crust from burning.)
Be sure to come back and let us know how great it was. 🙂