To be all out honest, has anyone really not heard of these? I mean I have been eating these for over 15 years, when my mom happened to see it on a Rachael Ray show when she was just beginning her major star career. Anyways there has always been many different variations for everyone with this. Below is my personal favorite when I want to getting fancy with asparagus (Update- it is now Garlic Cheesy Asparagus lol). However at the end of the article is my quick way I goto most of the time when I am a bit more time crunched.
- 2 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 12 slice bacon, uncooked
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Many people have different opinions on how many asparagus to wrap. Personally we found the sweet spot to be 2 or 3. Depending on the individual sizes. Secure the bacon-wrapped asparagus with a toothpick. Arrange bundle in a shallow baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; heat mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture over asparagus bundles.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until spears have begun to wilt and bacon looks fully cooked. Enjoy!
Now I have been on time pinches and want to make this fast so I simple skipped everything and just bought maple bacon and wrapped up the asparagus and cooked until the bacon is crispy. Low and slow is the key because you want the asparagus fibers to break down.