Many people might be asking why it is called “Crack Bread”.. Simple answer is just try it and you will completely understand. However, the reason is once you eat a little bit of it, you will continue to eat and eat until it is gone.. much like being addicted to it. Yes it really is that good.
We like to make this as often as we can because our entire family loves this dish and I have had to double everything most days just because we can not seem to
- 1 crusty loaf , preferably sourdough or Vienna
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (or other melting cheese)
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 2 large garlic cloves , minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley , finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine butter, garlic and salt in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir through parsley.
- Cut the bread on a diagonal into 2cm/1″ diamonds but do not cut all the way through the bread (just like you would cut a french stick for garlic bread).
- Use your fingers or a knife to pry open each crack and drizzle in a teaspoon of butter and stuff in a pinch of cheese. This might sound like a bit of an effort, but I promise you it is worth it! You don’t need to be super neat, it’s nice to have some of the butter drizzled over the crust.
- Wrap with foil and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese has mostly melted, then unwrap and bake for 5 minutes more to make the bread nice and crusty.
- Serve immediately.