Something about using french onion in any form of recipe instantly triggers a happy emotion. I love using french onion for several different things, especially making french onion soup.
Recently we tried a new recipe and made french onion pork loin and omg!! it is the best thing ever! If you are a fan of french onion and pork loins then we have the perfect recipe for you!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 center-cut pork loin, about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and beef broth and cook until the onions are browned and tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). Transfer cooked onions to a bowl and tent to keep warm.
- PORK LOIN
- Butterfly the pork. With the pork on a cutting board, hold a knife blade parallel to the board and carefully make a lengthwise cut about 1/3 of the way from the bottom, stopping about 1 inch from the opposite end, being careful not to cut through.
- Open the loin like a book.
- Make a second cut on the thick side of the pork loin, horizontal with the first cut. Do not cut all the way through, stop about 1 inch from the opposite edge. Fold that edge over making one long cut of pork loin.
- Cover the entire cut of meat with plastic wrap and pound to an even 1/3 inch thickness.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Rub over both sides of pork loin.
- Top the pork loin with half of the cooked onions and half of the shredded cheese.
- Tightly roll the pork loin to completely enclose all of the fillings.
- Using cooking twine, tightly secure the roll.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the pork loin to the pan and sear on all sides (about 5 minutes on each side). Turning the loin a total of 4 times.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the pork loin reaches an internal temperature of 145 °F. Occasionally baste the pork loin with the pan juices.
- Increase oven temperature to broil. Top pork loin with remaining cheese and onions and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Slice and serve warm.
- Add parsley for garnish.