Gnocchi is an all time favorite of mine. We have had it in so many different soups and different ways that I ca not even remember when I was first introduced to them. Now I have to have them all the time.
Recently we made a delicious cheese sauce for a mac and cheese. After we made the sauce and the noodles were cooked, we went to drain the noodles and accidently dropped the whole pan onto the floor. Just so happened.. that it was the last bit of noodles we had and the nearest store in 40 minutes away. So I turned to the pantry and behold we had 2lbs of Gnocchi on have and the rest is history. Just wait until you try it!
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lbs / 1kg Gnocchi
- 5oz / 150g Streaky Bacon, diced
- 2.5 cups / 625ml Milk, at room temp
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, grated
- 3oz / 80g Parmesan, grated (save half for the topping)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup / 30g Panko Breadcrumbs, or as needed
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Olive Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 200c/430f.
- Begin by frying your bacon in a pan over medium heat until crispy. Drain away excess fat if necessary (a couple of tsp left in the pan is fine).
- Melt in 2 tbsp butter, then stir in 2 tbsp flour until a paste forms. Gradually whisk in your milk 1/2 cup at a time, stirring throughout to ensure no lumps form.
- Once thickened, add in 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp dijon mustard. Stir to blend, then add in 1 cup cheddar, 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 your parmesan. Taste test for salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, pop your gnocchi in salted boiling water and cook for 1-2mins. Do not cook for the full packet instruction time, take at least 1 minute off. It still needs to be fairly firm, this is just to remove the starch and cook through slightly. Drain and combine with your cheese sauce. Pour into an oven safe dish.
- Top with other half of parmesan, then 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, followed by a pinch of salt and pepper then spray with oil to finish.
- Pop in the oven for 20mins or until golden on the top and bubbling in the centre.