I do not remember where I first had these but I know it was recent when I moved to Florida. It is considered a Cuban style food and here in Florida we have a wide choice of different type of cuban food.
Upon my first time indulging upon these, I took a bite and out came creamy potato and cheese filled delicousness. From that moment forward I have been hooked on these and have never looked back.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 package Smithfield® Anytime Favorites® Diced Ham
- 4 ounces queso blanco cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Boil peeled potatoes until soft (about 20-25 minutes). Drain potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
- When potatoes are completely cool, add garlic powder and mash until they are mostly smooth.
- Scoop up about a Tablespoon of mashed potatoes and form into a cup shape. Fill the potato cup with about a teaspoon of ham and one cube of cheese.
- Take two filled cups and squeeze together so that they form a ball, sealing the ham and cheese inside.
- Dip the potato balls in a egg wash, then gently roll in bread crumbs until the outside is well coated.
- Once all potato balls are rolled and coated in bread crumbs, fry in small batches of 2-3 at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
Here is also a nice video you can watch on how to make these