Have you ever had the pleasure of enjoying a cheese burger with mac and cheese on it? Well now we have gone one step further and decided to make the buns out of mac and cheese and oh buddy it was a major success. One of the best burger buns I have ever had on a burger.
Last year at a cook out we made 30 of these buns and had a nice cook out with family and friends and these burger we an instant hit. Every single person approached me at some point and asked where I bought the buns from. Had to break their little hearts and tell them that they are home made.
Lets get to the recipe now shall we?
- 1 cup – macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup – unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup – plain flour
- 1 1/2 Cup – whole milk
- 1/2 cup – grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup – grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Cup – grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup – flour
- 1 tbsp – mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp – cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp – garlic powder
- 1 tsp – mixed herbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup – panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1.25lbs – beef, formed into burger
- 6 – 8 slices burger cheese
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain the macaroni in a colander and set aside.
- Add butter and flour to a large casserole to form a roux then steadily add the milk, stirring well after each addition until you have a smooth sauce.
- Bring to the boil, stirring constantly then add the cheddar, Parmesan, and mozzarella.
- Stir to combine and then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and stir to coat all the pasta in the sauce then remove the casserole from the heat and pour the macaroni into a large baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper.
- Use a spatula to flatten the top and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a 4 inch cookie cutter to cut out 6-8 “buns.”
- Place flour, mustard powder, cayenne, garlic powder and mixed herbs in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggs, and bread crumbs in two other separate bowls.
- Dip each macaroni bun in flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs, coating evenly.
- Preheat vegetable oil to 355f
- Place the macaroni buns gently in oil and fry 3-4 minutes, until golden brown then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Keep warm in a low oven whilst you fry the remaining buns.
- Season hamburger patties liberally with salt, pepper and american mustard.
- In a saucepan set over a high heat, sear patties to your desired doneness, flipping halfway through and adding a slice of cheese.
- Place cheese topped burger between two mac and cheese buns and top with whatever you fancy; sliced tomatoes, onions, burger sauce etc.