Something about an open-faced mushroom ricotta sandwich just fills my entire body and soul up with peer and utter joy. When we made the recipe we instantly knew that it was something that needed to be shared with the world.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 24 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced (divided)
- 4 slices rustic-style bread (sliced thick)
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to pan and saute until browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir mushrooms into pan and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are almost completely browned.
- Reduced heat to medium and allow pan to cool for a couple minutes.
- Mix garlic into mushrooms and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove mushrooms from heat, then season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta with 1 tbsp. chives, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Place slices oil side down on the baking sheet.
- Top each bread slice with ricotta, then mushrooms.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake sandwiches for about 15 minutes, or until toppings are hot and bread is browned on bottom.
- Remove sandwiches from oven, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!